At Therapeutix Wellness Center
Precautions during a Back Massage on a Pregnant Woman
Though a back massage is of great benefit to a pregnant woman, there are precautions that should be observed during the massage. Some of these are:
- The pregnant woman should be lying on her side during the massage.
- Ensure that the massage table does not add any pressure on the belly of the pregnant woman by placing pillows for her to lie on. Any undue pressure can endanger the life of the mother and her unborn child.
- Essential oils should be avoided during the massage as some of them could endanger the life of the unborn child and the mother as well.
- After the massage, the woman should ensure that she will remain hydrated so that the toxins released during the massage will be successfully excreted. If this is not done, the toxins will remain in the bloodstream and this will not be safe for the mother and her child.
- The massage should be carried out gently to avoid hurting the mother or the child in her womb. The massage therapist should also know the pressure points that should be avoided which could lead to preterm labor.
- You should keep communication open so that if the woman feels any intense pain, she will be able to say so that the massage can be discontinued.
- If any massage technique will lead to undue stretching of the uterine muscles, it should not be carried out. A back massage should not affect the stomach region in any negative way as this is the only way you will be assured of the safety of the mother and her child.
Therapeutix Wellness Center
Check out our main page: http://www.tmclife.net